Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, April 13, 2012

Today is day 3

I have about 12 books that need to be read or finished. I would say that this experiment will be a complete success if I knock out half of those. High goal? No way! If I spent almost as much time reading as I did watching television this month, there is almost no way I could not exceed that goal. Let's do math.

Book pages:

    205
    250
    136
    447
    38
    112
    170
    200
    250
    119
    249
    90

Now some of these are pages leftover, mind you. The total number of pages is 2266. This sounds like a rather lot to read. Let's play the game of averages. As I reported before the average person watches about 4 hours of television a day. Excluding my devotionals of the Bible and Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people", guess how much I could average on a daily basis. If I spent just two hours a day reading at a average of 2 minutes per page, I could read 60 pages a day. Print sizes vary greatly, and sometimes I feel into it more than others, but that seems to be a safe number in this case. It should be noted that I could finish 5 of the 12 in 6 and a half days. Then I would have about 20 and half days left to read a single book. The best part is that if I can hit 2 hours each day for 6 and a half days, it will be a pretty normal occurrence by then and I will be be able to keep it up with added ease.





Wow! Things seem more possible when you break them down. It may seem like I am cheating by only attacking the books I have already started, but added up that's 495 pages. That brings our grand total to 1771, which is a sizable dent and should give me the boost and encouragement to push on. I am a dreamer, nothing wrong with that really. So Let's say I made it a permanent habit. If I started from the beginning at 2266 and read 60 pages a day, it would take a little over 37 days to finish my current collection. This still sounds a little heavy. I would like to play the law of averages card in a different way this time. If I read 60 pages a day for 1, 2 or 3 weeks, somewhere along the line how hard would it be to increase to 90 pages a day? That's the exciting part, soon what would have been a push can become a slight increase in effort. That's motivating. By the way, for those of you keeping count, if with one week left (7 days) I started hitting 90, that is 630 pages (extra 210).

No comments:

Post a Comment