Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Another day without television.

One of my original posts for this experiment referenced the character from the movie "Fight club". I paraphrased him saying that after a month he no longer missed T.V. Well, it took me much less time to not miss it. I must admit that those occasional movies may really help balance it all out, but I am confident I could make the grade even without the movies. It is still noteworthy, after all, television's main goal is to have us watch more of it, and buy things.

Yesterday, I spoke with my friend and mentor Steve Moore. He pointed out some important things for be to watch over, mainly the risk of trying to change to much at a time. At first I was resistant to this. After all, change can be good and I want to get this stuff down-pat. It did not take me long to consider his point and recognize the potential dangers here.

As a reader, you may be shooting off a snide look or comment at this, but there is truth to this. It is true this is not a danger as in risking my head, money, or reputation. It is a long term danger, one that can cost much more than a south-diving investment. How does someone reach a goal? How does someone eat a 12 ounce steak? Bit-by-bit, bite-by-bite. "Inch by inch, it's a cinch, by yard it's hard" I knew this (I had learned this lesson about a month earlier) but what about when you want to achieve 12 things?  Well even with bit-by-bit fierce attacks on a goal, if it is divided by 12 it is significantly less fierce. Lesson is that, when beginning, focus almost all effort on building one or two habits of a good nature. The reward will be long term, but you'll stick with it and have a much higher chance to reap. Even better, the better you do at this, the sooner one day you will have the will power to place 6 or more habits in your life long term at once. This also will take awhile, but this reward is sweet and tender, best when you hit the juicy point in a few years...much like a good steak. Maybe "good" isn't the word.



No comments:

Post a Comment