Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, May 11, 2012

Dude, what's in the bottle?


Who drinks soda? Answer: most of us at least sometimes.
I have and are likely to drink some more at some point. Today I walked in the kitchen. As I looked around I saw on my counter a bottle of Dr.Pepper with about a fifth left inside. I asked my mom and she said go for it. And I was going to...after all, it had been some time since I have drank any so...

Wait. Am I reading this label correctly?
Okay I am about to hit a sort of cliche here, but listen.
If most of us drink soda, most of us probably know what is one of the top ingredients in soda.
Any body know? That's right,sugar. I cannot tell you or anyone what really is the best level of sugar-other than the lowest amount. I can say you can learn a lot form skimming labels even if you are determined to drink soda for your whole life.

This brings me back to the kitchen.
As I look in slight shock at this label I see a whopper 64G of sugar in this small bottle. I was tempted to ask how did they manage to add that much sugar, most sodas I would guess at around 30 or 40 grams. Still, I could have told my mom, but I didn't

I had the technology, so with the help of my step dad and his special scale,I figured I'd do better by showing her and the major soda drinkers a visual and let them take away what they wish. Here is 64 grams of sugar and the bottle that contained the same amount.
No thanks-you can finish it yourself...


For anyone who wants to add an easy point on our 1-10 scale of health, here is a great place to start. Maybe it isn't necessary to cut soda out completely depending on your goals, but if you can replace a few bottles with water, two things happen. 1) Water begins to taste good. 2) You'll
probably feel better in a week or two (depends how much is half to you). So before taking on salads or whole wheat bread or swearing off pasta...put down the soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment