Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Choose a winner's snack

A few days ago I woke up somewhere between 7 and 8. I was hungry,  I lied there awake thinking what I could eat before working out and starting my day. Fruity pebbles sounded tasty. I helped myself to a bowl, and in what seemed like one swoop, eat it all. Then I sat there for a minute looking at the empty bowl and thought, "eh". I have been eating whole grain bread lately so maybe I have started being able to differ quality ingredients from cheap products like the "enriched" grain in my generic fruity pebbles. This choice made me feel like my day was already a "eh" day.

This is the topic of today's post. Choose a winner's snack (and/or meal).
I believe in something called "eater's remorse". Much like buyer's remorse, it seems like a fine idea at the time, but later in the day you regret it and hate the decision. Whether it is a "cheat meal", "just a one time thing"or "a treat that I usually go without", most of us know the deal. If you have an internal debate over something, good chance it's better to just go without. Why?

Well not too long ago I was volunteering for a church/community project by doing some gardening and weeding at a elementary school. Someone brought donuts. They're were plenty for everyone, and I was hungry. This was one of those times I resisted the urge, and as a reward, somebody also broke up some Quaker snack bars for the group which I enjoyed. Most did not though, most helped themselves to these sugar filled treats. Now, I did not get to speak or observe them all for the rest of the day, but I would wager these donuts played a part. Besides the sugar crash many may have experienced hours later, which crashed productivity, it probably didn't motivate them very much.
Basically, even if they're bodies didn't feel awful later, what choices will follow that doughnut? What if you said no?

If you say no, who knows, maybe today will be the day to go for that 4 mile hike, or clean the garage. After all, if you can resist the doughnut, you can do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment