Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Beets me

As a quick recap for anyone who did not read my last post, I went to the farm this weekend. They were appriciative and gave me some sqaush and beets. Oppurtunity must be knocking because I really do not know how to do anything with either. Yesterday I listed some of my picks for squash recipes, today I will do the same for beets.

Golden beet bread- I do enjoy bread, yet I cannot shake the feeling that this bread will not be a sweet as those flavored breads one sees at the grocery stores. Walnuts, butter, salt, water, flour and beets are the main ingredients. This one would definitly get attention at parties.

Beets on the grill- Seriously. One person recomends tossing them on the grill with some butter, then adding salt and pepper to taste. Another reccomends something slighly more complex, throwing some olive oil in a ziplock bag, add beets, wrapped it in tin foil, and let it simmer for 30 minutes. She combined it with Yam and says it was "to die for".

Roasted beets 'n' sweets- Sounds pretty straightforward. The "sweets"  are the potatoes and seasoning. It is roasted in a similiar way as the grilled beet, with a ziplock bag.
Most of the prep is just throwing olive oil, garlic, onion, sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar into a bag.

It seems I have new flavors in my future. I hope you have all benefited from these and consider getting a new vegetable or two yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment